AAUW POSITION DESCRIPTION
Branch Membership VP
The Pittsburgh branch membership vice president oversees efforts to recruit and sustain a diverse, active membership in the branch.
The following are the responsibilities of the Pittsburgh branch membership vice president:
- Recruit a branch membership team to help plan and implement strategies for identifying, recruiting, and retaining branch members.
- With your team, evaluate previous membership development efforts, assess current membership and community demographics, and identify underrepresented groups you would like to recruit.
- Develop a membership action plan with specific and measurable goals.
- Ensure that membership development priorities are included in your branch’s annual plan.
- Work with other branch officers and teams to integrate membership with other branch priorities.
- Seek out opportunities to promote AAUW membership at branch and community events.
- Encourage usage of social media to recruit and retain members.
- Attend and participate in membership and leadership trainings via webinars, workshops, and other opportunities provided by the national office and other outlets.
- Manage the membership recruitment and retention process, following up with your finance officer to ensure proper collection and processing of applications, dues, and fees payments and analyzing data on branch membership renewals, recruitment rates, and reasons for non-renewal.
- Ensure that the branch has a comprehensive orientation program that provides opportunities for new members to become involved.
- Ensure that the branch budget reflects membership priorities.
Specific Responsibilities to your State
Maintain regular contact with the state membership vice president and report on member interest surveys and other activities as requested. Adhere to all state membership policies. Share successful membership recruitment strategies with y our state membership vice president and other branches.
Specific Responsibilities to AAUW
Compile and maintain state membership reports. Adhere to all AAUW membership policies. Educate yourself regarding the current AAUW Bylaws. Encourage members to do the same.
Specific Leadership Skills Helpful to the Position
A good candidate will be skilled at planning and goal setting, communications, marketing, team building, consensus building, and leadership development.
Along with the time necessary to accomplish the above responsibilities, this position requires time to serve on the branch board of directors and other committees as assigned. Attendance at branch meetings is strongly advised and attendance at state conventions and the AAUW National Convention is encouraged.